So me and my sister signed up for a sprint tri.
400 m swim, 15 mile bike 5k run. Funny story, last month I was wondering if I could pull off a half triathlon at redman. Yea, that's right, half a full iron distance tri. Silly Eddie. Anyhow, so I can swim the 400 I can ride 15, and I will smoke some fools on the 5k and make up for the slow previous two events. You know, the precise exact same game plan as everyone else, with the exception of the guys with the ever so phallic bicycle helmets. Well first a snake swim with a hundred other people ain't the same as doin 400 worth of laps by yerself. First of 9 lives gone right there. But I survived! From here on out it becomes more and more my race. Sure they went up part of Talbert hill on bikes but I made it. From here on out it is normal hills. About halfway through the bike I am heading north, feeling good, keeping great pace, wondering why is this so easy. Bout 300 yards before the turn around it finally dawns, the wind is at my back! Of course, what was I thinking. Biking into the wind is worse than running into it ever thought about being. 7.5 miles of suckin wind later, I'm back for transition two. Now a bit about the transitions. The event is chip timed. They have mats at the start, finish, and the entrance and exit to the transition area. I'm like cool, they turn the timers off when you go into the transition area. This is to equalize for people who don't have the fancy quick zip laces and such. Yeah right. They are done this way so they can time how long you attempt to "hide out" in the transition area trying to pretend you're not having a stroke. So they can show everyone your transition took twice as long as the girls. Really I shoulda seen that one coming. So I hop off my bike and take off for the run, for about a step and a half. Hmmm, seems my legs aren't actually, how do you say, oh yeah, working. I keep squating down with every step. Strange, I never practiced biking and then running, but it couldn't be any different than running and then biking could it. So now my race saving event is tainted now that I realize it is taking me about a mile to get my "running" legs back. My first 5K that wasn't a PR, so sad. Next time, think I need to plan to train a little more like I plan to race. Crazy concept I know.

5 comments:
Nice tri, dude. Axually, you have confirmed my fears of doing one. I am deathly afraid of the swim, and fear the humiliation of being the slowest to change clothes. I have already figured I would have spaghetti legs on the run. But you said you got your running legs back within a mile? Hmmm.
Nice pic with the phone books. Your fingers have a lot of walking to do!
gotta love them phone books.
Welcome back.
My hat is off to you for even trying a mini tri. Next time will be better.
Dude, someone has plotted against you with all those phonebooks.
Maybe your neighbors took up a collection. You ever thought about recycling?
Glad you're back.
Way to go! I have thought about doing a tri sometime, but I'm afraid of a DNF on the swim leg.
Way to go on the Tri!!
Sounds like there are quite a few of us who would like to "tri" one of our own, but have issues with the swimming part - maybe you can give us lessons!
And what's up with all those phonebooks? If you're collecting, I have some I can share!!
Post a Comment