Went downtown and there seemed to be something going on.
Seeing as there seemed to be quite a few hotties hanging around, figured I would hang out for a while and see what was up.
Then it becomes all to horribly eye bleaching clear.
It must be the Tulsa Run. Alright then let's run this thing.
I've never run a race this big. Kinda impressed with Tulsa for pulling off support (in runners) for a race this big. The 5k seemed to bring out as many as the 15k as well. So I start out with Bobby, stepping out with the crowd in general. I loose him when I stop for the first photo op of the boxing crew. So I head back out and here we are at the bottom of the 15th street hill when I start to catch up with my surroundings. That's when I see the first one. Purple Cobra goes sailing by. Self I say, coach Kathy has run us up this hill before and I liked it. Now what's the likely hood that those plastic nosed, male pec implant, make up to the gym, juice bar types have practiced the hills? So I passed him, and I liked it. I'm thinkin I'm already at to quick a pace for 9.3 and should probably settle down when I see another F. The F's seem to glow a little like they are brighter than all the other letters on all the other shirts out there. Well I'll just pass one more and get in front of them where they can read my shirt for a while. So several globo gymers and a few hills later and I start trying to figure how I'm gonna stay in front of them. Doesn't matter I figure, they're not passing me, period. Actually one or two might have passed me unseen. Close to the center of the race, on the 21st bridge off ramp, my Achilles heel was exposed. In the middle of a sofar strong race where I'm looking to whoop people, there they were. I had to come to a complete and utter STOP. After not seeing them for weeks now....
Sculler Babes! Oh yeah. Talk about takin the fight right out of a guy. Cmon Ed get it in gear, ya got a thing going on over here.
So we're on riverside. The one thing I do like about out and backs is there is something to look at besides the butt in front of you. Don't get me wrong, checkin out fannies is all well and good but after a while ya get to feeling a bit lecherous. Well one time running I did come up behind a group of ladies unheard and happened to hear them discussing a guy they had spotted and after hearing what they had to say, well it made me feel pretty pious in my thoughts. Anyway the elites are going by in their sickeningly fast manner so I forget some pain and run on. We're about the pedestrian when I start wondering where the finish line is gonna be and where the route back into down town is gonna take us. I figure there are only so many big streets without curving in there at Denver. Hmmm, how are they going to get us into downtown without going up that hill at Denver... oh. Uhhh I don't have that much energy left, I would like the alternate route please. So I turn up the hill and start trudging. Then God looked down on our little race, he checks in on me from time to time cuz I'm amazing like that. Realizes I need his amazing grace bestowed on me. And delivers. A globo gymer I had almost caught on the flats, 2 steps a head. God moves air to bring his muttered words to my ear. He is whinning! Oh yea, I don't whine until after the hills. Past him, power up the hill (power being way relative by now). Cruising on in when the inevitable finally happens. A globo gymer passes me at QT. This hasn't happened(and stayed that way) since the bagpipers. Worse it's a girl (I'm not really that chauvanistic, I'm just taking my time coming to terms with girls becoming better athletes than me over the past 20 years). Even worse than that, she has one of those long straight hair pony tails that does the bouncy swishy thing. I used to think those pony tails were super hot. Though months ago I saw a girl (Carmie actually) with the two little ponytails at the base of the skull. I've been noticing them around more and more lately, and today I came to the conclusion they are way hotter than the bouncy swishy ones. So the race is on, but I don't have much left and she smells the barn herself. I'm really not sure if I beat her or not. She might have chested me out but I think my foot hit the ground first. Need a photo finish here. The gun time shows a girl her age at the same time as me. So I would of course have to put the tie breaker to my faster chip time. So I came out with a perfect nothing left in the tank.
1824 CL Ed Carden M37 Broken Arrow OK 1:30:49 1:29:54 9:39 6:00 8328PR baby! 9:39 pace! I knew I could put up sub 10s for 3 miles, maybe even 5 miles. I had no idea I could put up 9:39 for 9.3 miles.
It was a good time. I was a bit disappointed with the whole running out of water and beer thing while hundreds of runners were still on the course. I was under the impression that the Tulsa Run was a bit more professional than that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a snob that must have bottled water. But if you're gonna run out you should at least have a water fountain around as backup.
Miles for the day 9.3
Sculler babes 4
Purple cobras passed - skads
Ones passing me - we'll call it none that I spotted.
5 comments:
Ed, I am SO proud of you!! When you flashed me your double peace signs as you headed north on Riverside, I mentally cheered you on and asked God to help your run (cuz he and I are close like that). Way to go, man!
Way to go! Sounds like you had a blast. I didn't see you or anybody else in our training group finish. I suppose I should have cheered my RunnersWorld friends on, but the massages were just too inviting.
Way to go Ed. I think you were flying instead of running. I knew you had it in you. I see only improvement for you from here on.
I can't wait to see your time from the marathon.
You're just too cool for your running shoes. Great race, but the report is tainted, what with all my boob pics!
Post a Comment