Route 66 Mock Marathon. To look at it you'd have thought it was an official race. I'm thinking it will be in another year or two. The turn out was immense. Most being quite a bit faster than me, but I make up for that with pretty. I even saw one globo gymer shirt in the mix. I could still sense the good her. It's not too late... We headed out for the route of the real Route 66 marathon. It was a chance to practice our race day stategy. My strategy, other than surviving, is a 5 hour marathon. This means an 11.5 minute pace. Yes my eyes are often larger than my stomach. So my strategy broke down right off the bat. It wasn't real cold at the start, but just cold enough that I was more worried about warming up and loosening up than my pace. So I took a couple miles before I got real serious. Then I took out at what I guessed was an 11.5 min/mile pace. I'm pretty sure though that I was waffling between 12 and 10. I took the alternate route over to peoria past Runners World. It's not thatI mind running on the grass trail but at the store water stop they had the pretzel sticks and I'm all about pretzel sticks. The fact that it added another mile or two to the run was merely a "bonus". Back to the river trail and on down to check the construction progress on the new casino. The turnaround reveals that Turkey mountain is changing colors quite nicely. Back up the trail and once again this time I take the alternate over to Peoria. This time though it's because I realize I like running down Peoria. It gives you a chance to window shop in all those brookside stores where the trendy people with more money than sense shop. Then the hills start. Up the first hill and ya start remembering this route and realize there are more hills right after this one. Just when you are getting depressed about that fact you crest the first hill and see the most beautiful sight you've ever seen. Joe. I think he might have picked that spot just to make himself look good. Gatorade/water orange slice and a little chocolate. On over to Woodward park and we get the chance to build a little muscle and its time to sprint to the top of the park. Surprisingly this just might affect the rest of your run. But if you can make it down Terwilliger and back up St Louis, it's pretty much all downhill from there! Total time 4:47. If we call it 24 miles that's a pace of slightly under 12 minutes which means I gotta pick up the pace a bit. I think I need to figure out how to steady my pace a bit. But now it's all about recovery. 24 miles and I figure it's time to consider splurging a bit. It's time to hone my world class napping strategy and think about where I might find a braut that requires no steps, stairs, curbs etc.
Miles for the day approx 24
the week 31
Globo gymers - just a couple!
Sculler babes :( - 0
7 hours ago
1 comment:
I hope you got your braut and your nap.
Post a Comment