Saturday, August 2, 2008

Dark at the Park

Nobody wants to admit it. Me however, well there's never been a sentence uttered by human lips that I wouldn't blurt out right in the middle of sunday school. The yellow pages are dead. C'mon we've all known it for a while now. We've all come home from a Saturday morning run and there it sits on your porch.



In times past ya might have gotten excited. "Did they spell my name right." "Oooo, new pizza coupons... hey they jacked the price 50 cents!". Not nowadays. You come home and there it sits on your porch, again, taunting you. And if we no longer want the yellow pages, why should we have to deal with the detritus? You purposely walk past it thinking, the day I catch the guy... I'll randomly put crap on his porch, see how he likes that. Now the hard part. How long to let it sit on the porch before we pick it up and throw it away? Is the week I'm out of town too long? Am I being juvenile? Is a contrary statement of principal appropriate when my neighbors are the only ones to suffer? Sounds like the American way to me. This might be fun.

So I ran this morning. Two loops out of Veterans park. It was hot but we've seen worse. I'm outta town for a week and will probably weasel on the running, so I wanted to play tough and go like I meant it. I chased the dust of some dark haired gal I haven't met through the downtown loop. I poured on the speed... and caught up to her... for about 3 seconds at a water stop. Let's face it, water stops are the only reason I catch up to anybody. I get back to the park and the Newbies group was stretching before their run. (I think that group is still growing). I head out on loop two around the river. It was a slow day on the river loop. Number of shirtless speed demon groups: one. Number of globo-gym pace groups: 0. Number of uber hot sculler babes: 2. Do all runners have sculler babe issues or is that just a rubber leg, exhaustion thing that is unique to myself? Anyway pulled into Veterans with the tank pretty much empty. Next week: I'm gonna try this crossfit thing at the soccer field after. Big talk huh.

Mileage: 10
For week: 23

6 comments:

T Z said...

Ed says: In times past ya might have gotten excited. "Did they spell my name right."

Come on....how hard is it to spell "Ed"??

My worst nightmare....working like heck to catch up with that hottie only to find out it was a GUY!

simulatedme said...

Okay I wuz worried "chasing" sounded lecherous. Edits have been made. (she was cute enough to deserve lecherous don't get me wrong)

Now the sculler babes, yeah I was going for lecherous there.

Bobby said...

ok. I thought I was the only one that goes nuts over the phonebook thing. I never know what to do with them either fill up the landfill with them or save them to be devious to someone else later or maybe like you find the guy that left them on my doorstep and clutter his porch with them all.

susan

p.s. I had to use Bobby's account to post since you don't have a place for name only listed on sign in.

simulatedme said...

hey you're right I bet I've missed comments. I think we can rectify that.

Bobby said...

Hey Ed. They don't have internet access in Witchita?

Kidney Bean a.k.a. Erin said...

Ok, everytime I read your blog I laugh at something.
I must admit, I use my phone book, but only as filler to ship items I am selling on ebay or something. It is good ofr that.