Friday, August 8, 2008

"You sending the Wolf?"

If ya go camping in the southwest, check your sleeping bag for scorpions. If ya go spelunking in the Canadian Rockies, might oughta check your cave for bears. If ya climb aboard a $15 million simulator, be sure and check for wolves.


I still have no idea why...

Sorry about the lack of activity but I have been a very busy young man. I had to go work in Wichita. I did get to run a little in Wichita. Here's a couple things I tried not to trip over along the way. Wichita is still a fantastic running city. This is an example of another place where the sidewalks go all the way around a mile section. "Loops" way rock over "out and backs". Their sidewalks even have the occasional curve in them too. Boy I hope that kind of madness never happens around here. Once ya put curves in your sidewalks where will it end? Next thing ya know we would stop flattening hills when we build roads. Or God forbid allowing a road to curve. Anarchy, dogs and cats shackin up!


Rain! How sweet it is. From this point on cool temperatures prevailed.
















Then I had to come home for a very late Friday night run. Cuz let's face it, 5:45am is way to early to really consider this Saturday just yet. I was pleasantly surprised (I didn't check my schedule) to find out today was merely an eight mile event. Though as wonderfully, and unseasonably cool as it was this morning I almost wished we had gone farther. The light running load did give me an opportunity to do some thinking about hydration. There are water stops graciously provided by Coach Cathy and crew. Some however go an extra distance and carry some water with them. I have seen waist pack camel bags. I suppose you could use a full camel bag. I have seen belts with clipable bottles. Linda has a belt that even has two bottles. Still others have a bottle with a strap around the hand to make it easy to hang on too. All these ideas seemed practical to me, but expensive! Now you may not know this about me, but I do in point of fact, hail from the Arkansas side of Tulsa. Now this isn't so much a geographic region, per se. It is more of an upbringing kinda thing. If you go to the Tulsa State fair, and do not say "where do these people come from?" Then you might be from the Arkansas side of Tulsa. If you're from either coast, your pre- puberty years were spent north of the mason dixon line, or you've never taken a salt shaker out to the garden, well you're not from the Arkansas side of Tulsa and should let us handle anything that requires a tree getting climbed. So instead of spending my ex's hard earned alimony on fancy hydration systems, I got clever. I performed some very precise engineering type guzinta's, broke out the duct tape and ... tadaaaaa!



I must say I do believe I stayed better hydrated and the run was much more manegable. So once we had all decided on our water strategy we head out for 8. We start with a run around the river up the east and down the west. Across the pedestrian and into what I suspect was Tatur Dave designed hill country. I'm glad we ran that route though. If a globo gymer can run that hill at Woodward park, I can run it twice! Around swan lake and we're in the home stretch. Most of us didn't care about showing up our own performances. We just wanted to beat anything with legs only 6 inches long. The guy on the right is a baller now. He runs and is in for the duration posting the same 8 as the rest of us. The two on the left we didn't see in action and at the moment are still falling into the diva / cheerleader category.



Another Saturday in the books. Globo gymers, a bunch (but they were still standing around in the parking lot when we had done headed out.) Sculler babes, 2. Guys fishing waistdeep in the middle of the Arkansas river... bout a half dozen. (They are so from the Arkansas side of Tulsa. )
Today 8 miles.
Week 18 miles.

3 comments:

Bobby said...

Ed, love your water bottle idea. Maybe you could market it to Kathy and make some bucks to go towards that ex's alimony.

Thanks for running with me today. You might not realize it, but having you along is what kept me going. My brain was telling me to stop in the first mile.

What the heck is a globo gymer?

I like your blog music except for that 1999 prince tune. I have to turn the volume off when it plays.

Ethiopian Elites said...

Like your hydration system. Have you patented it yet?

T Z said...

Dude....you should have used the duct tape to make a waist mounted hydration system. Although taking it off might have been a bitch!