She knew. There were preparations that could be gleaned from the kids. But I had waited until it was too late for those. She had given instructions to the kids, which I was willing to ignore should it become necessary, that might complicate my life. But I had her boxed in. Her own predictability had locked her into an x in the corner, or the fastest contempt filing since '91. We had to go to Pryor to throw her off the scent. But that's okay. I know Pryor. I like it. It's right down the road from where I grew up. Pryor Fever Mud run. You leave out of South BA at 8, you'll make it perfect for a change, and a registering, and a 10:00 heat. It doesn't have quite the whistles and bells found at a TATUR mud run. But it had a charm all the same(and the mud holes were way competitive. just sayin). Held at the Pryor Community center accross from the high school. Access and parking were plentiful and easy. We had already grabbed some accessories. Quick change in the parking lot, and next thing ya know. We are getting the looks of awe. The knowing nods given to ones betters passing through their life. Catcall from the girls with freshly, instantly, broken hearts. Why?
We were pimped out. Now let me give you a piece of advice. If you have a ten or eleven year old. Take yourself to Wally world. Or wherever. Just go while they got the halloween stuff out. Yeah, Yeah, it's fall holiday season at your house. Don't bring that crap to my blog. Here, it's "boy get your butt in there and brush your teeth!", sugar loving, HALLOWEEN. And buy a costume afro wig. Toss it in a cabinet, where they won't find it. Come next April, pull that wig out. Toss it to your kid. Then go take a nap for 4 hours. Cuz they are gonna be entertained for a while.
Okay they put a bit more effort and polish into theirs. They gotta go down.
Pryor put on a nice event. Before the mud run they even had a proper 5k with timings and all the fancy trimmings.
Be cause hey, if it's the seventies, you gotta be up shot. Now you might think, hey I got kids. I can run with, protect the phone, and take pictures as they hit the mud holes. You'd be wrong. It's gonna get wet and die. Not to mention the boy is of course gonna be onery, and the second you turn around to look after the girl. Yeah, you're not gonna see him again until they shut the course down and shoo everyone off. The national guard guys do a great job with the course and manning the rope bridge and swing type obstacles so nothing more than clean pride gets injured. Not a small feat with this controlled madness.

And apparently you gotta be very serious about your hot! The national guard boys, will not however. Go in and fish out your afro when you loose it in the second mud pit. But you will have a story to tell every single soul you see for the rest of the day. Kinda like the idea that loosing a shoe to sucking mud might not be just a danger, but more a prerequisite to properly enjoying this much mud, even if you gotta help it a bit. Probably shouldn't have told her the shoes were expendable.
But I think we all know there is only one way to judge success in the battle against the darker forces of our universe.
Luckily I found someone whose camera was still alive. Yeah we are still looking for the boy at this point. The shower and
cleaning facilities are plentiful is as of yet unused. They even had
pop up changing facilities. Nice. If I had brought the stuff from the
truck, we wouldn't have even needed to drive home on a blanket, just wet
enough to avoid all air conditioned lunch spots. But eating on the
tail gait like dirty vultures, and I mean dirty by vulture standards, seemed rather appropriate.We finally found him. One color head to foot. He had made it through the course 3 times. It was a good day. Next year they want more work done in the costume dept. Will I go vigilante again for that request? Absolutely not, I mean they don't even have a "lair" section in the classifieds.
Lost: 3 shoes
2 afros
1 sweet pair of shades
They asked after. I wasn't sure what to say. What it would do, what it would mean.



No comments:
Post a Comment