Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Kitty Food

 South Orange County.  Sometimes it sucks less than others.  The land of people almost as pretty as me.  Almost as laid back.



 Yes Big guy, I hear.

















 You grab the first hotel you come too.  You head out and find that sometimes the universe is payin attention to some other poor slob and you get away with a little somethin somethin. 

Just out the front door you find just what the doctor ordered.   Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park.






You check out a map and see there are more than enough trails out here that you could be that guy "...out in california rescuers are calling off the search for a man missing since..."  So I figure stickin with one trail for an out and back might be the smartest way to go.  Yes, eventually it DID occurr to me that if I'm carrying my phone with the map app...  Anyway, I'm still going with  Serrano Creek Trail.  The trails through here are really old ranch roads, and a little single track. interspersed.  All of it gourgeous soft sandy loam covered.  Not very technical.  Easy enough you can definitely gawk at all the sights.




 


 Yes God, should be somewhere else, got it, thanks.

Said I got it.

Rumor has it this is not the kitteh they spotted in the area.  This is apparently the last kitty, they relocated and used his picture to represent the new kitty spotted in this area.  This is Sam.  No one knew the name of the new kitty.  I think its his brother.

Met a couple by the name of Tammy and Dennis that gave me the low down on routes, and invited me along on their five miler to get acquainted with the trails.  Dennis's grandmother still lives in Perry Ok today.  They of course pointed out that you could not run the second mile up Dreaded Hill Trail.  






With a derisive naive snort I was just about to start into a story bout globo gymers when we came to one hell of a left turn.
 
Bout halfway up with my new friends, kinda annoyed cuz ditching them now would be kinda obvious.  On the upside feeling fairly prepared for the highest hill five miler.
 Bout 800 foot climb in approximately one mile.  Yeah they were right.  OMG that really really hurt.  See the storage tank on the far hill.  Yeah, we just came from the valley floor  just to the left.  These trails are big with the mountain bikes to boot.   This one was fixing his chain one day when attacked and killed by a mountain lion. (not Sam or his brother)  They made the bench in memory of.  One of only 20 deaths by mountain lion in North America. Fatal dog, and snake bites, lightning strikes, and bee stings are all more common.


Though here, maybe it's less surprising.  None of the critters running around here could care less about us people.  The deer look at you occasionally if you are jabbering when you walk by 15 feet away.  Otherwise you opposible thumb types can get bent round here.


If you find yourself in So Cal.   I would try and stop by.  I don't think I could touch all the trails in two weeks.










No way I'm going to the beach.  Meeting a shark at this point, is a pretty obvious definite.

No comments: