Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I'm not up to much

Saturday 8:00 am time to take a leisurely drive up to veterans park for a little run. Ran six miles round John Zink Lake. For those like me who haven't realized downtown Tulsa has a lake, Zink lake is the "lake" formed on the Arkansas river above the low water damn. Since I had more running in my future I decided to forgoe the optional 2 extra for 8.

Though gotta say, highlight of the morning... you got it sculler babes! They were loading and unloading as we came down the west bank.









11:00 am I still have many miles to go including making it to the motherroad 100 miler Tatur aid station so let's keep moving. I hit the sporting good stores and come out with two of my greatest purchases of all times, new hooded sweatshirt, thermal socks(which I am still refusing to remove) and a base layer. "Base layer" means fancy high dollar thermal drawers. Yep worth every penny. I got the medium level as that was the warmest they had. The highest level is meant for people really going somewhere cold by artic standards. But the clock is still ticking so no time to reflect on how cold it might get in Geary OK at 2:00 am.

2:00 pm And we're off to the house to pack some extra clothes and head out to the McNellies Pub run. Four miles and 3 12 oz Guiness's. Yes that's how you plural Guiness after 3 Guinessesess.
3:15 pm At mile one they will have a Guiness just for you. I was actually surprised at how easily it went down with all the huffing and puffing. I think the exertion brought out a lot of the creamier texture of the Guiness than you would have had with a pilsner. I was more amazed at the lack of a heavy feel that I expected it to have while running.







Surprisingly at mile 3 they poured another beer just for me. Here you see it's last few seconds on this earth. It is almost sad... but not.










Right before the finish line, I found this guy who is apparently trying to bank some good Kharma, pay it forward, and generally trying to become a better person. I think he is succeeding marvelouslly.










4:30 pm. Then as soon as that race is over it's off to the Tatur Aid Station at mile Seventy-OMG that's too far for a human to run of the Mother Road 100 miler.

8:00 pm. It was cold but the soup was hot. Potatoe soup ala Vickie, boy I hope I got that credit right cuz it deserved credit. "Worked" at the aid station for a bit. Took a nap for an hour or two in the car until my turn to pace came up.

Sunday 1:30 amI ran with Coach Kathy for about 12 miles. She seemed to be holding together quite well for someone on mile Eighty-OMG. I tried vainly to make some kind of conversation that would not remind her of exhaustion, pain, running, sleep, feet, you know all of the topics that would be natural at this point. We managed to get her past a few runners and then I haned her off to Roman who took her to the finish while I went an found some warm dry clothes. Imagining the runners out there still running in sweat dreched clothes made me fall in love with thermal socks.

Sunday Dawn am Then after the last runner, it was time to break down and load the Tatur aid station in an alfired hurry which gave us just enough time to get to the finish line.




Sunday 7:ish am First in is Coach Kathy taking 2nd in Womens. During my leg during the night I was surprised to find out her first hundred miler was the mother road the year before. She was ranked by runners world in the top 100 female 100 milers ( rookie year maybe). To paraphrase, Helluva thing to find out you're good at.






Next up we have the Trail Zombie crossing the finish to his THIRD 100 miler in 6 weeks. Gotta say, Ken looks the happiest out of all the runners I saw afterwards. Everyone else looks relieved it's over. Ken looks excited like christmas just arrived, in between drifting to sleep of course.







Sunday 12pm So a little break fast. A much too long drive home. I see the kids and we make chilli dogs and play enough uno to boggle the mind.

Sunday 10:30 pm. Head to bed finally with an awful tummy ache.

Monday 12:30 am. Wake up with worse tummy ache that is unbearable and keeps me awake for the next 4 hours. When I finally go to the E.R.

Monday 6:00 am E.R. finally gives me a painkiller and runs some tests. You have a gall stone!. Am I old enough to have gall stones I ask. Doctor giggles for far too long here. Apparently the stone is so big it won't clear the gall bladder, thus the pain. Yeah record setting gall stones, I don't do things half way, it's just how I roll! Don't worry it's an easy procedure to remove the gall bladder and then you're all good the doc says. No cutting till after Saturday suddenly becomes my battle cry. Just amp me up on painkillers, but don't bench me Doc!

11:00 am I get home hit the bed and sleep for pretty much 12 hours straight, yeah baby, Nubain ask for it by name.

11:00 pm Wake briefly and go back to bed for the standard eight.

Miles for the day - 22
the week - 30
Friends doing the impossible - 2
Sculler babes - 5

7 comments:

Bobby said...

Great post Ed until I heard about the gall stone.

You were awesome at the 100 miler with all your help and pacing. Glad you made it there.

Hope you can make it to the marathon. I want to see all your hard work pay off.

Ethiopian Elites said...

Way to go on pacing Ed. I was sad to have to hand Kathy off to you, we had such a fun time, but you and Roman really took her into the finish well.

I think Kathy's first hundred was Rocky Raccoon. It is also the race that she had her PR on - something around 24 and a half hrs. Her second hundred was the Arkansas Traveller, which she did in about 28 and a half hrs in hot humid weather. It was the same weekend that the Chicago marathon got canceled. Her third hundred was Heartland a few weeks ago. She paced Johnny Spriggs to about a 26 hr finish. So, that makes this her fourth 100. (I think I'm right on this, but I could have overlooked a race or two.)

She paced for about 40 miles or so on the first Mother Road (I think she was pacing Ken), and then the next week she ran two marathons. One on Saturday when she got close to qualifying for Boston and then the inaugural Rt 66 Marathon the next day.

T Z said...

Details, Tatur Dave, details. Kathy was 24:30 at RR, 28:10 at AT100 which was a few seconds SLOWER than my previous record there. MR was her 4th 100, and 2 more she will have 6.

T Z said...

Oh, Rock Star Ed, the bets are being placed as to when you'll be stepping up to the line at an ultra.

Susan Michaels said...

Hey Ed hope you get to feeling better. I had to have my gallbladder out several years ago so I know what you are going through. The surgery wasn't that bad it was outpatient and the recovery was not too bad with a little help from pain killers.

Cassy Russell said...

Sorry to hear about your GB! Tell the surgeon to stay away from the bile duct. :-) Good job on pacing a 12.

Kidney Bean a.k.a. Erin said...

OMG I could not imagine having to come this close and have something come up. Are they going to let you wait? I heard about it at group tonight, but I wasn't sure who they were talking about. Yikes!!!
Great job pacing Kat. Hope to see you Thursday.