Sunday, April 5, 2009

Mixin Gatorade without a spoon.

In the words of a certain blind 13th century poet, "If at first you don't succeed, keep at it until someone easier to impress shows up!" Luckily for me this is Oklahoma. Now if ya don't know me, I really prefer to find 4:30 a.m. the fun way. Usually it leads to much more entertaining stories. However for the second week in a row, I have found it the righteous way. Incipient beeping from something invented during the inquisition. So I'm up. Again. Taking a variety of clothes so I don't have to care about the weather report I'm off to Stillwater. Sanity check at the QT for a little java. BTW, splenda is crazy expensive. Does anyone but me boost at least a handful of packets for the truck/office everytime they go in there? Just curious.

So the sun comes up and soon after, I pull into Jesus's favorite town. No really, I think it's like in Romans 4. I find myself praying quietly that there will actually be people here this time. At the lake it looks like Ken has a good turn out for the 50K. This volunteering is kinda neat. These people are getting ready to run 3o+ miles. Me, today I get to sit around for 30+ miles.
My duty was the North Canyon Aid Station. I believe it was at mile 4.8. Pretty homey if I do say so myself. Don't let the chair and vista fool ya. It wasn't all fun and games. The styrofoam bowl insurrection of 11:30a.m. would have left a mortal man maimed and bleeding in its terrorizing wake. I however, I held the line! Sure a few orange wedges had to be sacrificed but these trail races aren't for the weak of stomach.


It was fun and sun for me. The runners seemed to be a little varied with their opinion after 21 miles of rocks and roots.

















So after a small gatorade emergency we got em all through and it's time to clean up and git. Back at the finish line there are a lot of runners with that nothing in front of me but sleep afterglow thing going on. I can't decide if I'm jealous or not. Cuz hey, I got no aches and pains at the moment. I think I'll have to reflect on that one. Hmmm best way to contemplate that would probably be a dinner that includes an apertif.
Especially if it's easy on the aper and heavy on the tequila! Mexico Joes here we come. 1200 calories my butt.







Well the blister is in a bad spot. But I think we can safely say, the blister is not the issue here. Shower, soap, maybe one of those scrubby things. Someone has some work to do!


Then it's an hour and a half drive back home, and some rack time. Eddie has had quite the day and he is officially a tired boy.

Miles for the week - 10 maybe, I know weak!
Globo Gymers - 0 (that I recognized as such)
Trail Chicks who thought my gatorade brought the girls to the yard -- couple dozen!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did it again! No one can describe it as well as you! I'm just glad I didn't offer, or you didn't ask for, a picture of MY foot; it would have put that one to shame (no disrespect to the person on the end of that leg). 'one of those scrubby things'? Yep, that's what it took...

coco bean a.k.a. lisa said...

so what did you mix the gatorade with?? thanks for all your help. wish i coulda come thru a second time. well, maybe not. depends on the answer to my question

Susan Michaels said...

Yuck I am glad I didn't have to come to your aid station for gatorade LOL but makes me wonder now what Christin used to stir her jug of gatorade with. I don't want to even know.

Bobby said...

Great report Ed. Did you get that burrito burned off yet? My taco and dos enchilladas settled well with me. I just hope they don't make the scales go the wrong way this Thursday at the weigh-in.

Bobby said...

You didn't use a narwhal tusk to stir the gatorade did you?

Susan Michaels said...

He probably borrowed a bagpipe from the McMurtry ghost.